Wednesday, November 16, 2005

11/16

First a vote backed up with your reasons why.
Sleeper or 12 Monkeys

Which one do you want to watch on Friday? Why? I will give you about 15minutes to discuss, research, and write up your answer before we move on to our current class assignment. Before you vote, you might want to check the imdb write-up on both, or the script (all linked above) for 12monkeys. Here are some other facts about the films.
Sleeper (1973) Director Woody Allen. Performers Allen, Woody; Keaton, Diane. Length 89minutes.
12 Monkeys (1995) Director Terry Gilliam. Performers Willis, Bruce; Pitt, Brad; Stowe Madeline. Length 129minutes.

Both are good, but for very different reasons. You will notice that 12 Monkeys is considerably longer than our class. If this is the film we choose, I will run it through to the end on Friday (finish around 4:40pm) and would be willing to re-screen it (show it again) on Saturday. I will reserve a room, hopefully our regular classroom to allow us to watch it again. We would need to set a time to do this on Saturday. I am willing to show Sleeper again on Saturday as well. Again, we need to establish 1) if people want to do this and 2) if so, what time.

In class today, we will work on developing our ideas for this next paper (paper 3). Most of you are ready to start developing your ideas about Gattaca if that is the film you want to write about. If it isn't, you are welcome to write about Soylent Green or either off the two films we might watch on Friday. If you choose one of these two films, you will need to be responsible for watching it and developing your thoughts on it. You can bounce them off me, but it will require more work on your part. Easier to continue developing your thougths on Gattaca. If you are going to conitnue with the Gattaca writing, here is the process and the steps for today.
  1. Read my comments on your theme and summary.
  2. Develop your ideas through discussion, research, and outlining your developed idea (you should have time to do some of all three things in class).
If you are planning on writing on one of the other films, you should plan to follow the same process but add the step of talking with me first. Let me know if you aren't planning on discussing Gattaca in your paper. This is fine, but I want to know.

So today is a chance to work on your ideas and doing this means being responsible and focused on task. If your are lost, or if at any time in class, you can ask me for advice, or bouce ideas off of me. You will have to manage your time, discuss your ideas with a friend (or in a small group) is a greatway to clarify your idea and share thoughts. If you feel you work better on your own, you can use the time to research, or if you feel you are ready to start outlining your paper, work on that. I will expect you to have some sort of outline ready for class Monday. And I am planning on working on your drafts in class next Wednesday, so bring what you have written by then to class as a hard copy and on disk too!

Ok I think that is it. Use your time wisely! Ask questions, discuss, think, write, work on this paper!

25 Comments:

At 16/11/05 14:40, Blogger yoheibig said...

12 Monkeys.
Sleeper seems easy to understand, so it will need less help from you in class I think. 12 Monkeys seems more difficult and contain more message here. so it will need help to understand well. I found more interesting in class dealing with difficult stuff that you helped us to understand so far. And it's good chance to listen to other opinions. SO 12 Monkey please. Though I would like to watch Sleeper outside the class if we watch 12 Monkey.

 
At 16/11/05 14:41, Blogger yurimorishita said...

I want to watch "Sleeper" because I have watched "12 Monkeys" before. I don't remember the story of "12 Monkeys" well, but I think this movie is good movie, but difficult. When I watched this movie, I watched it with Japanese subtitles, so if we watch it with English subtitles, maybe it is difficult to understand.

 
At 16/11/05 14:43, Blogger Mai Hayashi said...

I want to see Sleeper on Friday, because after looking at the plot summary for this film, I thought it seems more interesting than 12 Monkeys. And I think short time is better, because long movie makes me less concentrate.

 
At 16/11/05 14:44, Blogger chika0306 said...

I prefer to watch 12 monkeys because the story seems to be interesting. This is kind of time travel movie, but it is not ordinary time travel movie because this film describes other problems. It seems to be complicated, but plot is interesting, i think.

 
At 16/11/05 14:45, Blogger yamayu0329 said...

Yuka Yamashita
i prefer 12 monkeys, because it seemes to be more interesting and developed than Sleeper.
Time travel movie is new for us, so it may give us new message.
Anyway, I love Willis, Bruce!!

 
At 16/11/05 14:45, Blogger Matsutaku said...

I want to watch "Sleeper" because we have watched films including serious message, I think it is O.K. to take a little break or relax with easy understandable film.

 
At 16/11/05 14:46, Blogger AyumiShingu said...

I prefer to watch 12 monkeys to sleeper because sleeper seems to be just funny film, but 12 monkeys seems to have a lot of messages. I also think that the sence of laugh is different between American and Japanese. Therefore, I htink myself that I will not laugh so much to watch sleeper. I think 12 monkeys is hard to watch and I will be tired to watch it, but I want to try it and to feel the achievement to understand the difficult film.

 
At 16/11/05 14:47, Blogger seiji ohashi said...

I want to watch Sleeper. I think 12 Mokeys is interesting but we have never watched comedy before, except Dr Strangelove so I think it will be good challenge to us to watch comedy movie and find out the meaning.

 
At 16/11/05 14:47, Blogger YukaMori said...

I want to watch 12 Monkeys because it is interesting for me and I want to know how and why 12 Monkeys release the virus. Also, I do not like Sleeper. The biggest reason is that it seems funny and I will enjoy it, but the film will be boring for me after about 10 minuites.

 
At 16/11/05 14:48, Blogger erikomatsumura said...

I want to watch 12monkeys. I am interested in it from reading of imdb explanations. 12monkeys seems to be difficult and complicated but I thought we can see this movie in several point of view. In this movie, the time setting change.(past, present, future...)12monkeys is more interesting and exciting!!

 
At 16/11/05 14:50, Blogger AkikoHarada said...

I want to see 12 monkeys on friday, because I prefer complicated story than simple story in that we can not expect the end of story. the movie's casting is also attractive for me.

 
At 16/11/05 14:52, Blogger KaoriFujiwara said...

I want to watch "Sleeper" than "12 Monkeys" because both of them seems interesting, but perhaps I can not understand the complicated story of "12 monkeys".

 
At 16/11/05 14:52, Blogger kumi_n said...

I prefer twelve monkeys to sleeper. The movie describes human destroying. These days, human destroy lots of things, but in the case it is opposit. Therefore,this movie is difficult to understand, but I think that the movie has deeper meaning. Moreover, famous actors perform in this movie.

 
At 16/11/05 14:52, Blogger chihirosaito said...

I want to watch "12 monkeys." I wanted to watch "Sleeper" at first because it was easier to understand but after reading the two film's plot summaries, I felt 12 monkeies is conplicated but can make us consider deeply. It can be developed in various ways. That is why I wanna watch it.

 
At 16/11/05 14:53, Blogger Megumi Kakimoto said...

I'd like to watch "12 monkeys" because the story of "12 monkeys" seems to be more interesting for me. It is maybe more difficult to understand, but it must have more messages because the story is more complicated. Of course, "Sleeper" also have important messages, but I'd like to watch films that are not comedies, actually.

 
At 16/11/05 14:53, Blogger Nakaeri said...

Sleeper.
I'm not feel like to watch such a complicated movie like 12monkeys.Sorry. I don't like suspense very much. Besides,I'm interested in the director Woody Allen.

 
At 16/11/05 14:54, Blogger Mai Ogata said...

Hello, this is Mai Ogata.
Actually, I am interested in both of them. These two are very different so it is difficult to decide one.
"12 Monkeys" seems scary and I know it is complicated. But we have watched some films which are complicated, so I am interested in those, now. I want to try it.
"Sleeper" seems funny and simpler so it is easy to understand.
I will watch the one which more people want to watch. It is OK.

 
At 16/11/05 14:54, Blogger tomomasanagashima said...

I want to watch Sleeper because of the time. I think both movies are interesting to watch and it is difficult to choose one. Because of this, I want to watch shorter one. Add to this, Sleeper is the film in 1970's and I have no experience to watch these movies before. This is the great oppotunity for me. So, I want to watch Sleeper.

 
At 16/11/05 14:55, Blogger KanaMiyazaki said...

I prefer to watch "12 Monkeeys." I know it is difficult to understand, but I think it is easier to find messages to us in "12 Monkeeys" than in "Sleeper", because "12 Monkeeys " is newer and familiarer with our society. There would be more connection to our daily life in "12 Monkeeys."

 
At 16/11/05 14:56, Blogger haruna sato said...

I prefer Sleeper to 12 Monkeys. I saw some reviews of "Sleeper" and they said the film was made long time ago, but it is still enjoyable today. The length of the film is good ti watch in class. "Dr.Strangelove" was also comedy movie, but it was not so funny but serious. However the trailer of Sleeper was very funny to me so I really want to watch it.

 
At 16/11/05 14:56, Blogger Mika said...

I prefer Sleeper to 12 Monkeys. Both of them seem interesting, but it is said that 12 Monkeys is difficult. In addition, it is a little violent, so I want to watch easy and funny film, Sleeper.

 
At 16/11/05 14:56, Blogger aya said...

Both films are about time-travel. I am interested in the topc and both of them, but I vote on 12monkeys. Though I read the outline, it seems to be really complicated, but I want to know how to rescue the earth in this movie.

 
At 16/11/05 14:57, Blogger RieOkada said...

I want to watch Sleeper because when I watched this filn little bit in class, I'm interested in this than 12 monkeys. I'm interested in 12 monkeys because the casts are great.but I want to know the message from comedy film.

 
At 16/11/05 14:57, Blogger megumi_n said...

I want to watch 12 monkey. main character go back to 1990 and search the cause of virus to save the world. this movie was influenced AIDS. I heard it is complicated yesterday, but I think it is interesting.

 
At 16/11/05 15:46, Blogger Eriko Minami said...

I want to watch "sleeper". Because "12 monkeys" seems difficult to understand. Yesterday, we watched the part of both movies. Only that part of movie enabled me to understand the story of "sleeper", but I could not figure out what "12 monkeys" is about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home